Every week 14 million people in 185 countries meet to sweat out on the tunes of over 140,000 official Zumba Fitness locations. Gradually this Latin dance craze is making a remarkable growth in Indian fit biz.
After spending a much-anticipated weekend, Monday morning brings that cringing thought of resuming work. Sitting at your desk, staring at the computer screen, downing endless cups of coffee and finally making it through the day, only to get back home and complain about yet another mundane working day. This was a usual routine of a working lot.
Now, picture this – Your work place could be a state-of-the-art fitness centre one day and a beautiful swimming pool the next. Be it a Sunday or Monday, you have thumping music for crazy energy levels, so a caffeine kick becomes the last thing on your mind. However, most importantly, you so love your work that the word ‘mundane’ is replaced with ‘fun, energetic and crazy activity’ when you describe your day at work. Sounds like a dream job, doesn’t it? That is the power of Zumba.
Interestingly, almost a decade ago, a qualified engineer, working at her typical, high-flying corporate job in the US discovered Zumba, quite by chance, at her local gym. Very soon she was hooked onto it and fell in love. After a few months of nail biting contemplation, she decided to take the plunge that was virtually unheard of back then. She decided to become a certified Zumba instructor and has never looked back ever since. This is my Zumba story and what was an uncommon occurrence back then has become all the rage today.
While learning Zumba continues to gain adequate popularity in India, teaching Zumba is slowly becoming a serious and respectable career option as well. In fact, it would be no exaggeration if I say that over the last five years, I have seen hundreds of professionals from across various sectors making this big switch with a committed confidence.
However, if you are one of those people who are still in dilemma of opting Zumba as a career option, here are five reasons why you should take the plunge today!
1. You can work as much or as little as you want: One of the big advantages of being a certified Zumba instructor is that you can choose to work as many hours as you want. Whether you want to take five classes a week of 15 members or you want to teach at varied locations by travelling often– the choice is yours. Isn’t that convenient and cool?
2. You meet all kinds of people: A Zumba class is open to anyone from the age of 16 to 60. So, if you are a people’s person, this is the tailor made profession for you. From celebrities to talented dancers and homemakers to highly successful professionals – you are likely to meet a large variety of people from diverse field in your Zumba class then you would otherwise meet in your life and that is no exaggeration. In fact building strong relationships with members of your session is also one of the key elements to becoming a successful Zumba. instructor and I say this from my own experiences with students over the years.
3. Abundant opportunities: While clubs and fitness centres are always looking for licensed Zumba instructors, the opportunities here now stretch much beyond that. From schools to contemporary housing societies and private classes at home for celebrities – one can do so much more with Zumba license. Many corporates also invite instructors to conduct Zumba sessions on a regular basis for group building activities. In fact, many big companies also host three classes a week as fitness options for their employees. Thus, there is a whole lot of potential in this business! In recent years, Zumba has also branched out to become more specialized where you have Zumba Gold training for active adults or Aqua Zumba, which is a renowned summer special fitness regime.
4. You can be a celeb too: Renowned Zumba instructors from all across the world are celebrities in their own right. My idol is Beto Perez, the founder of Zumba Fitness who has taught celebrities from across the globe and over the years accumulated a fan following of his own. Though, what really inspires me in his story is, he hails from Cali, a small town in Columbia, went to the US to peruse his dreams and today is the mastermind and face of Zumba Fitness. He is a huge source of inspiration!
All its going to take is the passion for Zumba, lots of hard work and a creative streak that will make you stand apart from the crowd.
5. A sense of satisfaction: For me, the most cherished feeling is the pride and the happiness I feel when I see my students/members go from fat to fit, fall in love with Zumba and eventually themselves. Seeing the transformation gives me a sense of achievement and satisfaction that I believe would have been missing, had I picked any other profession.
Don’t just believe me. You can log onto www.zumba.com and create your own Zumba story and dance your way to success today.